L&N Caboose No. 1148
About the exhibit
This steel bay window caboose was built in April 1965 by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad at its South Louisville shops, Louisville, Kentucky. Originally painted confederate gray with red letters. Renumbered Louisville and Nashville #6148 then Seaboard #16148 Retired in 1989 and donated to the Museum by CSX. Restored by the Museum members and repainted during the 1990’s. Red was selected as the scheme.
This is a later version of the lookout function of cabooses. Both the older cupola and the newer bay window models allowed the crew members to watch the trains from the rear.