Click on the area you wish to tour.

map

Depot L&N Dining Car #2722 L&N Baggage Car #1652 Frisco Caboose #1102 Engine Cab Tool Shed Bridge Tender's House Box Car #18050 Flat Car #21107 Caboose #1148 garden Railway Portable Station

Bridge Tender's House

Bridge Tender's House

Donated to the Museum in 1989 by Johnson Construction Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota, the general Bridge Tender's House on Bridge contractor who replaced the old wooden trestle over Escambia Bay west of Milton with a precast concrete bridge. The house provided Model Railroad Display shelter for the men who tended the draw bridge and their families. This is the fourth known house to be built on the bridge with the last three previous houses destroyed by hurricanes. The one lost in the 1906 hurricane claimed the lives of the bridge tender’s wife and two children who were caught on the bridge and tried to ride out the storm. The house is now the home of the West Florida Model Railroad Club, a division of the Museum. Its HO scale layout depicts northwest Florida railroads, with an operating diorama of the Milton railroad scene (circa 1950).